Our 2016 platform on Equality and Civil Rights Issues:
Civil Rights and Freedoms
FLORIDA and NATIONAL:
1. We support strengthening protections against all forms of discrimination, including racial, religious, ethnic, gender, disabilities, and sexual orientation.
2. We support the right of all cultures to dignity, self-determination, sovereignty, customs and native languages.
3. We support efforts to combat human trafficking.
4. We support workplace initiatives outlined in the Healthy Families Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act.
5. We oppose efforts to weaken the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
6. We support the principle of religious liberty.
7. We support strategies to prevent gender-based violence.
8. We oppose cuts to Medicaid that would reduce services to low income families and to people with disabilities.
9. We support the right to vote and to have every voted counted, and we declare both to be essential American freedoms.
1. We support the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.
2. We support full reproductive rights and oppose all state measures to chip away at Roe v. Wade.
1. We support building partnerships for women’s political and economic participation in all levels of commerce and governance.
2. We support reauthorizing and strengthening the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
3. We support Planned Parenthood and we oppose efforts to defund it.
4. We support the ratification of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women.
5. We support expanding training for women in law enforcement fields.
1. We support transparency in voting processes and voter education.
2. We support the restoration of voting rights to persons with felony convictions.
1. We support the Voting Rights Advancement Act for Voting Equality.
2. We oppose laws that place unnecessary restrictions on those seeking to exercise their right to vote.
3. We oppose the use of political motives to disenfranchise American citizens.
1. We support enactment of state statutes that protect persons who identify as LGBT from discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations.
2. We support the Florida Workforce Improvement Act.
1. We support the enactment of the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
2. We support the Respect for Marriage Act and the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
3. We oppose efforts to criminalize homosexual conduct or ignore abuse.
4. We support the Supreme Court’s ruling affirming that same-sex marriage is legal in all states and that same-sex couples be afforded the same respect and responsibilities as other married couples.
5. We support efforts to combat gender discrimination in the workplace.
6. We support the right for persons who identify as transgender to use public facilities of their choosing.