Our 2016 platform on Education:
1. We support closing the achievement gap in Florida’s schools and ensuring that children in every neighborhood benefit from high-quality educational opportunities.
2. We support an increase in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs, as well as art, music and physical education.
3. We support measures that ensure that Florida students are afforded equitable and inclusive education that is sensitive to all cultures and genders.
4. We oppose the use of public tax dollars for the construction and maintenance of for-profit charter and private schools and the use of vouchers for school tuition.
5. We support comprehensive objective evaluation of each teacher’s performance.
6. We support every teacher’s right to maintain union membership.
7. We oppose high-stakes testing and support teaching/learning time over training for tests.
8. We support evidence-based and age-appropriate sex education.
1. We support laws that provide students with disabilities appropriate accommodations and individualized educational plans (IEP) in the least restrictive environment.
2. We support the enforcement of Title IX, the federal law prohibiting sex discrimination in education.
3. We support free and public pre-kindergarten for all children.
4. We oppose the implementation of Common Core standards without prior input from parents and teachers, appropriate field testing, and an intact process for review.
5. We support the development of community colleges.
6. We support making college affordable to students from all backgrounds, and federal student loans with payments not to exceed 10 percent of income.
7. We support efforts that address sexual assaults occurring on campuses.
8. We support increasing school construction, as well as programs that improved curriculum and technology.